Sunday, September 8, 2013

Warm Bodies

    So, I kind of liked this movie....! I was really disgusted the first time I saw the preview, and then slowly grew interested the more I saw. I, like most intelligent people these days, am kind of tired of all of the zombie movies. I mean really, how many times are we going to see the same story about rotting, dead bodies that are reanimated by disease, fungi/bacteria/etc., or just because? There is a still-running TV show around the whole premise, there seems to be at least one zombie movie released every year, and there are even news stories about people acting zombie-like! I mean really, enough. But, that being said, I like The Walking Dead, I loved Sean of the Dead, and I like this movie. So, maybe I am not as fed up with the zombie craze as I want to be; I keep watching them, so they will keep producing them.
    Now, to my credit (:-)), this is not your typical zombie-flick. I mean really, they come back to life!! It is a fun romantic comedy about how powerful love can truly be. It is narrated, in part, by a twenty-something looking zombie who experiences something revolutionary when he sees the girlfriend of a guy he just murdered and started eating. In this rendition, the zombies eat brains for sustenance and to get the memories of the people they are munching on. It's an explanation that I haven't heard yet, and one that makes the grossness of zombies more tolerable (which it should because you have to like these zombies to like the movie). He falls more in love with this girl the more memories he gets from the brains, and becomes more human the more time he spends with her. His love brings him fully back to humanity, and has similar affect on most of the other zombies to end up saving the world! It really is the most uplifting zombie movie. The world is saved by love; not the military, not a war, not destroying every dead thing and starting over, but love. It's kind of refreshing, even if it is insanely cliche.
    The acting is good, and John Malkovich is John Malkovich (crazy, funny, all-around awesome). The Kristen Stewart look-a-like, Teresa Palmer, really is at such a disadvantage in everything she does. She is pretty good, but I have to fight to get beyond the Kristen Stewart looks to watch her. But, in this she did it. I completely forgot about K-Stew and could really enjoy Teresa Palmer seeing through the scariness and falling for a half-dead zombie!
     In the end,  I give this an 8 out of 10. My enjoyment might have been increased by my low expectations going it, but it really was fun and enjoyable to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment