Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Silver Linings Playbook

    This was really well done! It was completely different than what I was expecting, but I still really liked it. I went in thinking that it was going to be a love story with the girl and the guy just kind of falling into one another while both being crazy. That's not exactly different than what actually happened, but it was done a little differently.
    Bradley Cooper's character is bipolar and had a breakdown when he found his wife cheating on him. So, he is pretty crazy. Jennifer Lawrence's character is a little crazy/reckless since her husband died unexpectedly. They find each other and end up falling in love. However, it isn't as much accidental as I thought, and it was much more about their craziness as it was about their developing love story.
   Both Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence did a great job. I love them. Robert De Niro was also awesome. He played the neurotic, OCD father who is trying hard to make up for mistreating his son and passing along his craziness.
    The  movie kind of moves both slow and fast at any given time. For a while it moves hour by hour, then skips ahead a few weeks, then slows down again, and finally speeds up to get to the climactic ending. There are also a couple of flash-backs to explain Bradley Cooper's breakdown. So, it can be a little hard to follow as far as trying to figure out what happened when. It also takes about a quarter of the movie to get to the bottom of why Bradley Cooper had to go to a mental hospital in the first place.
    I think this seemingly hodge-podge plot line is why my mom did not like this as much. However, I think it's part of why I liked it so much. It kept me riveted to figure out what everyone's issues were, who all the players were, and where exactly the story was going to go. In the end, it did end up being the story I expected, but getting there was completely different. The getting there is what makes this more than just a RomCom, which is why I liked it a lot. I went in for a cheesy romance movie and was surprised with a fascinating romance story.
    In the end I give this an 8 out of 10. It was intriguing, entertaining, and left me with a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment