Saturday, July 21, 2012

Batman: The Dark Knight Rises

    Christopher Nolan's Batman series is excellent, and the last installment, unlike most other third movies, is just as excellent as the first two. I think I liked the Dark Knight better, butt only because Heath Ledger's Joker is the best and it cannot be beaten. Bane is nice and creepy, and so are his followers, but the Joker still takes the cake on super creepy, super evil, super villains! Also, I still cannot believe that Tom Hardy is Bane, crazy!
    This movie has it all: a story, flow, action, humor, growth and development, and a satisfying, yet incomplete ending! There was plenty of boom, lots of toys, and really impressive explosion scenes. There were new characters introduced, (Catwoman, Blake (Robin), and another police officer) and a new potential story line left open at the end. 
    This movie kind of roller-coastered. The beginning starts with plenty of bang and plenty of questions. Then there is this whole development and past relation thrown in the middle, still with plenty of questions. Then it ends with a conclusion, some bang, and a little bit of a twist, all of which leaves fewer questions.
    Christian Bale is excellent as usual, despite the silly batman voice, and I noticed that Christopher Nolan used a lot of his Inception actors. Marion Cotillard, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tom Hardy, and Cillian Murphy are all in both films and are all excellent in both as well!
    All-in-all, I give this movie a 9 out of 10. I will probably go see it again.....

2 comments:

  1. =====******SPOILERS*******==========

    Please do not read any further if you have not yet seen the film. You deserve to be surprised!

    =====******SPOILERS*******==========

    I thought the movie was ok, but definitely the weakest of the three. The ultimate problem with a trilogy is that it is a trilogy: it has to have an end. Each of the other movies were particularly satisfying because while the film had a definite conclusion and a feeling of satisfaction, there was still a yearning for more and anticipation for what comes next. This film, although it poses that the Batman legend does not die, does successfully conclude Bruce Wayne's role as Batman. There is no question about what Bruce Wayne is doing or how he is developing. His character is done; the journey is over.

    I had a few other disappointing moments in the film: principle among these was Bane. I had hoped to see Bane in a new light: a crafty, intelligent, wall of a man who is meticulous in his brutality. I got that to a degree, but it was a bit of a let down in a way that reminded me a bit too much of Joel Schumacher. I was not thrilled to learn that a woman had been calling the shots, and I think it detracted from the character in a big way. They set him up as a mastermind and diminished him to a minion.

    All in all, on a 10 star system, I'd give it about a 7 overall, but a 10 as a conclusion to a trilogy. I've never seen anything so successfully satisfy my need for resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly agree, especially about Bane. I did leave feeling he was a super villain turned minion with the twist of Marion Cotillard at the end, which is probably another reason why I liked the 2nd movie and the Joker better. The 9 is probably a little bit of an overestimate considering how I felt when I left the theater, but Devin said it was better the second time. I also need to watch it without thinking about Aurora, CO the whole time. Definitely a 10 as a trilogy :)

    ReplyDelete