Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman

       So, when I left the theater, I couldn't quite decide what I thought about the movie. On the way home, I think I decided I liked it. It was entertaining, I never felt bored during the movie, but I don't think it's one I like enough to own. I will probably see it again, at the $2 theater or on redbox or netflix, but I won't actually buy it.
       First, I hate Kristen Stewart, but she was either pretty removed from the main view, or I just simply ignored her. So, despite the fact that she was the main character, Snow White, I wasn't overwhelmed with her awfulness. However, not only did she attempt a brittish accent of some sort, but she also gave what was supposed to be an inspiring pep talk to battle. The accent was awful and the pep talk was less than lack luster. But if those are the only complaints, then one point for the movie!
        Second, Charlize Theron was awesome at being evil, and slightly sympathetic in the end.  She and Chris Hemsworth ended up being the true stars because he was great as well, it also doesn't hurt that he's just pretty to look at and listen too. :) I think they are why I ended up liking the movie in the end.
      The story line was a little different from your average Snow White and I liked the twist. It could definitely have been better with a stronger and more present Snow White and without so many skips and holes. They tried really hard to combine the Snow White story with an explanation for the evilness of the evil queen and a twist on the prince charming that combined two different love stories. It could have been a great intermingling, if it was done more effectively.
      The movie itself was very pretty. The landscapes were nice, the fairies were cool, and the visualization of good and evil in nature was a nice touch.
       In the end, I like Once Upon A Time's fairy tale interpretation much better, but this was definitely better than Mirror Mirror's take. So, I'd say a 5.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment