Saturday, February 16, 2013

Wreck-It Ralph

     This movie is updated version of Toy Story. Instead of your stuffed animals coming to life and having a whole separate, secret world, your video games do. It's a cute idea, and of course there is the growing and learning and blah that always accompanies children movies, but it fell short of my expectations.
    Part of the disappointment might stem from my intense hatred of Sarah Silverman. She is the worst. But I don't think that is entirely it. However, she is one of the stars by being a fellow outcast that leads to the defeat of the true evil character in this story, so it definitely relates to the movie as a whole.
    This was a cute movie, don't mistake me, I enjoyed it. But, it was not what I was expecting. My problem with children's movies is that I keep trying to hold them all to the same standard as Finding Nemo, Cars, The Incredibles, etc, yet, rarely does a children's movie meet those standards. I get it, not every movie can be as good as Finding Nemo, but man, I feel sorry for parents who have to sit through these movies over and over and over again. They are cute for seeing once, maybe twice, but they would be insufferable to watch as much as I'm sure a child would.
    Like I said, I feel like this is today's version of Toy Story. All of the children now are playing video games, computer games, cellphone/ipod games, and this movie brings them to life outside of the game. That is a cool idea, and it could have been a great movie. It just wasn't. The story was moving along very well, Ralph was sad, he was moving from game to game and causing problems. Jane Lynch got involved and had a pretty terrible back story. It was kind of cute. Then it stalled on one super sweet, high pitched whiny story. That's where things kind of fell apart.
    They tried to fix it by having the bugs be a continuous under current (no pun intended for those of you who have seen the movie, hehe), and connecting the original evil to the end, but it still just fell short.
     In the end, I give this a 6 out of 10. It was cute, just not up to snuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment